The Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism is a transfeminist queer affirming brick-and-mortar space that serves to nurture radical Black creation. It was birthed by BLM-Canada artists and activists who recognized the need for enduring space to cultivate the creative grounds of Toronto’s diverse Black communities.
Black Lives Matter-Canada and Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism are projects of M4BJ, which is a Black-led not-for-profit, charitable organization.
M4BJ is a community and arts service organization that primarily engages in serving the needs of Black communities. In order to effectively support these communities and provide opportunities for historically marginalized people, candidates who have lived experience will be strongly considered.
Now Hiring: Exhibition Curator
JOB TYPE: 5-month contract, part-time position, up to 10 hours/week.
CONTRACT START: February 25, 2022. 60 day probationary period.
PAY: $30-$35 CAD/hr, paid biweekly.
LOCATION: Dependent on the work: virtual, remote, or at Wildseed Centre. Wildseed is fully compliant with all municipal, provincial, and federal COVID-19 guidelines. Remote work is a possibility.
APPLICATION DEADLINE (EXTENDED): Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
In May 2022, Wildseed Centre for Arts & Activism will present a distinct and timely series of exhibitions by the inaugural Wildseed Black Arts Fellowship in Toronto, Ontario.
Wildseed’s Black Arts Fellowship is designed as a bold and expansive 20-month paid experiential program, where a jury-selected group of emerging and mid-career Black artists engage in a deep exploration of their practices through residencies and workshops.
Wildseed Centre is seeking a collaborative, experienced and innovative Exhibition Curator to work closely alongside the fellows and Fellowship Coordinator, to curate this Spring exhibition. This exhibition will consist of group and solo shows showcasing interdisciplinary creations (including visual, movement and performance works) and artist talks. This exhibition will be hosted both in-person at Wildseed Centre and virtually online.
- Collaboratively coordinate and enliven the exhibition and its coinciding programming.
- Prioritize thematic priorities of the fellowship program while developing the exhibition concept including but not limited to disability justice, critical response, and care agreements.
- Develop a timeline and project plan for exhibition and its programming.
- Update the Wildseed team on exhibition programming development and implementation.
- Prepare midterm and final report on exhibition programming and process.
- Work with the Fellowship Coordinator to maintain exhibition programming expenses and budget.
- Establish and nurture connections between Wildseed Centre and other Black and artistic networks/organizations/groups.
- Advise on communications strategies across website, communications, social media and other platforms.
- When possible, identify systems, software, and solutions to support the accessible development of Wildseed Centre’s virtual and in-person programming.
- Support Wildseed Centre and Black Lives Matter–Canada’s dual mandate.
- Proven experience facilitating and curating arts programming
- Knowledge of multidisciplinary art disciplines
- Strong communication skills in verbal and written form
- Knowledge of ASL is an asset
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism, apply by submitting your resume and one-page cover letter in a single PDF by Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET to the Hiring Committee:
SUBJECT: Exhibition Curator Application
At M4BJ, we are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free selection process and work environment, and will work with you to meet your access needs. Requests can be made at any phase of the recruitment process and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodations.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.